.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, August 22, 2008

 

When Can You First See Venus (Part 2)

About 3 minutes before Sunset. As I said, you can see Venus in daylight, so with the sun behind the meagre rise that I like to call the hill, and a little cloud masking the sky glow, and using the power pole that I have been sighting Venus off for the past few days as a reference, finding Venus was easy.

Jupiter was visible 10 minutes after Sunset, but it was probably visible earlier, as the eastern sky was basically blotted out by cloud until then. Also, as the eastern sky is darker than the western sky at sunset, Jupiter should be visible earlier.

There should be some sort of formula that relates sky brightness to time after sunset, that way you could calculate when a planet or star would appear based on their brightness. However, my current web searches have not found one. I can't even get a figure for daytime sky brightness that I can relate to magnitude. If anyone knows one, please let me know.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?